You know how every once in a while there is a report of someone finding something strange in their prepackaged food, or you go to a nice restaurant and you get a hair in your pasta, or people talk about the legal limits on the amount of rat hair that can be in a hot dog... that kind of thing? And it is really annoying when it happens to your favorite product/ in your favorite restaurant/ regarding Hebrew National (the best damn franks in the land)? In a country where it is common knowledge that a little dirt on your fruit is good for you, I perhaps should not be surprised when I find unexpected creatures in dinners purchased at my favorite market.
Meet Phil.


Phil and I met at dinner last night. He was actually a more welcome (read "cuter") find than the fish head and tail that were floating at the top of my non-fish soup. Obviously not Kosher standards, here. The good news is this: dinner included crabs, so at least Phil came from the same genre (if not genus) as the food I was expecting (unlike, say, rat hair).
To remind you pictorially of some of the reasons I love China, I have included these pics in my post, too:

Flowers gracing a brick

My fruit gettin' it on at a private disco party (you had to know the name of the fruit to get an invitation).
Maybe will can call him Dr. Phil, although I see no reason to insult a scum sucking crustacean with such a lowly comparison.
ReplyDeleteIf Dr. Phil happens to be following your blog, someone sneaked into my computer and posted that last comment
ReplyDelete