Monday, May 4, 2009

Nature in Zhuhai


Yay for spring! I get to see so much fun wildlife, even on campus, that I daily kick myself for forgetting to bring my camera along. But, when I do have my camera, I see...

SNAILS! This one is upside down because some jackass thought it would be interesting to learn exactly how snails right themselves when they get knocked around. ... I don't mind being a jackass every once in a while. I was there to make sure it didn't get eaten in the meantime, so it's not like it was at the great risk it usually would be if it were flipped. I had its back, if you will.

You may notice an abnormal sheen on the road below my apartment. That is because it is completely covered by a several inch deep stream formed by one night's heavy rainfall. This was the kind of rain that forced me to mop one side of my bedroom every once in a while to keep me from obtaining my own personal pond.

Froggies!!! Walking down the street would be a nightmare for a Jain monk. They are everywhere, and sometimes indistinguishable from the surrounding gravel until they hop. They are soooooooooooo tiny that it is hard to believe they are so fully formed! I mean, I am pretty sure I have seen bigger tadpoles than these frogs...

Can you spot what wildlife this is a picture of? Keeeeeeeeeeep looooooooooking.......








It's a lizard!!! He swims, too, by the way... or floats in shallow water and propels himself by pushing off of rocks and other debris lodged in the water below. I guess that means that he probably doesn't have webbed feet. I haven't gotten close enough to check, nor have I noticed any tracks or other forms of evidence to guide me but his swimming habits. Not that it is important....

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the circle and the very needed arrow. good photo. I can find him now when I go back to the unretouched photo but he is well camouflaged.

    ReplyDelete

World Clock