Wednesday, June 23, 2010

In Zanzibar!

I arrived in Zanzibar on Monday morning, and was greeted with a very different set of people and circumstances than in Dar. Contrary to my expectations, I also moved into an office and house with no internet connection opportunities at either. Oops.
I am buying time at an internet cafe (without the coffee) until I figure out something more convenient, so there will be no pictures or long posts until then.
One nice thing about Zanzibar is that a greater proportion of the people you meet on the street speak English, so while I am learning Kiswahili, I can still fall back quite a lot on English in a pinch. Well, I don't even need to be in a pinch to rely on English now because all I can say are things like "what's up?", "thank you", "sorry", "octopus", and "I like coffee with milk and honey, but I don't like sugar." These have gotten me a long way so far, but nowhere near fluency.
While there is a lot of English spoken, even without the presence of a foreigner, it has a fun accent. For example, people talk about the beaches a lot to me, but, to my untrained ear, it comes out sounding like, "You must see our beautiful b*tches," -- particularly surprising coming from people who are exceedingly kind and respectful and seemingly unlikely to use such terminology even in their native tongue.

Time is running out. Feel free to send me emails, but expect very delayed responses for now!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Rach - post some of those Kiswahili words so that we can learn with you. You could post a new word of the day if you want. :)

    --from your cousin who fancies herself a polyglot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph that is a great idea. I will learn it with you, one word a day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's a helpful link:
    http://mwanasimba.online.fr/E_TABLE.htm

    ReplyDelete

World Clock